Akshaya tritiya falls on the third lunar day from Amavayasya, which occurs during the suklapaksha month of vaishaka.The reason for this day to be auspicious is the position of Sun and Moon on that particular day. Every year, Akshaya tritiya falls between April 14th and May 14th. This year Akshaya tritiya falls on 27th April 2009 . During the period, Sun will be in Aries which is in exalted position and Moon in Taurus which is also in exalted position.As the Sun, the lord of the planets and the Moon the lord of creativity(sense) are exalted,the day is considered to be an auspicious day in India.
The word Akshaye, a Sanskrit word, literally means "one that never diminishes", and the day is believed to bring good luck and success. It is widely celebrated in all parts of India. The day is particularly considered auspicious for buying long term assets like gold ,silver and diamond ornamentsand other precious stones; and the real estate. The legend states that any venture initiated on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya shall continue to grow and bring prosperity.
According to Legends :
- It is said that on this day, the Treta yuga had its beginning and the great sage Parasuram, the sixth incarnation of Maha Vishnu was born.
- According to Hindu mythology, the Ganges river, the most holy and sacred river of India, descended to the earth from the heaven.
- most popular is that of Sudama or Kuchela visiting Lord Krishna in Dwarka with a handful of beaten rice (poha or aval).
- the Pandavas received the Akshaya Pathram (bowl) from Lord Krishna (in the Mahabharata) on this day.
- It is also believed that Sage Vyasa began the composition of Mahabharata on the day.
Lord Vishnu and his incarnations are worshipped on the day. The puja we have to perform on Akshaya Tritiya are as under: Kubera Lakshmi Puja This puja has to be performed on this day only. The puja should commence in the morning and end in the evening. From the next day onwards, one has to perform the puja regularly for 108 times by reciting the moola mantra. A photo of Goddess Lakshmi Devi along with Sudarsana Kubera Yantra could be used for the puja. Light with pure ghee should be used. Also light dhoop sticks with Kumkum and turmeric can be used.
The moola mantra for the pujas is as follows:
Kubera Twam Danadeesam Gruha
Te Kamala Sithta Tam Devem Prehayasu
Twam Madgruhe te Namo Namah.
or by saying " Om Namo Bhagavtey Vasudevahya "
Observance of akshaya tritiya is in india only: (This dates may not be applicable outside of india due to longitude, latitude, sunrise and other differences)